Stoney brook

Mountain Biking in Carrabassett Valley and Beyond

Stoney brook

Postby wigman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:01 pm

I see on NEMBA Facebook that work has begun on Stoney brook. This is a lemons to lemonade situation for me since my camp is close to there. That land has no easement issues. Before there was much riding in the Valley, the best riding was in that same area. I wonder if any of the old stuff is part of the new stuff.

Anyone have any updates on their plans and progress?
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Re: Stoney brook

Postby skiMEbike » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:09 pm

I know a lot of us have ridden the Stoney Brook trails since it officially opened. I was just noticing the Stoney Brook map posted on CRNEMBA site. The map shows the proposed trails and some concept trails that are planned for the area. When I initially rode the trails, I felt like there were too few trails for a pod that seems to be "far off the beaten path" from the main network. My opinion has changed now that I am seeing what is being planned for that area. When its all said and done, that looks like it will be a decent sized pod to ride on its own. Guessing approximately 8+ miles of trail and doubletrack in that area...Not to mention the elevation and vertical looks significant topping out at 2400+ feet.

Any insider info on the new trails and what could be available this season ?

Here's a link to the Stoney Brook map: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://eadn-wc05-5320549.nxedge.io/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/CR-NEMBA-Stoney-Brook-Proposed-Mtn-Bike-Development-Map-20230424.pdf
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:30 pm

skiMEbike wrote:I know a lot of us have ridden the Stoney Brook trails since it officially opened. I was just noticing the Stoney Brook map posted on CRNEMBA site. The map shows the proposed trails and some concept trails that are planned for the area. When I initially rode the trails, I felt like there were too few trails for a pod that seems to be "far off the beaten path" from the main network. My opinion has changed now that I am seeing what is being planned for that area. When its all said and done, that looks like it will be a decent sized pod to ride on its own. Guessing approximately 8+ miles of trail and doubletrack in that area...Not to mention the elevation and vertical looks significant topping out at 2400+ feet.

Any insider info on the new trails and what could be available this season ?

Here's a link to the Stoney Brook map: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://eadn-wc05-5320549.nxedge.io/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/CR-NEMBA-Stoney-Brook-Proposed-Mtn-Bike-Development-Map-20230424.pdf

Looks like the original link is messed up...This one should work: https://eadn-wc05-5320549.nxedge.io/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/CR-NEMBA-Stoney-Brook-Proposed-Mtn-Bike-Development-Map-20230424.pdf
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:44 pm

Hey thanks for posting the new official map, its awesome. i had previously been circulating the hand drawn version to friends. this is great.

the (ground mapped) proposed trail is going to be a doozy. the existing stuff is a cardio challenge for me as is. its a technical challenge too as i have not worked up the courage to send any of the jumps yet. looks like the existing tops out at 1700 and proposed goes all the way to 2400!

the concept trail seems a little weird to me being so far away from the rest of the network. will they be connected via the transmission lines clearing? or perhaps connected to mugwamp road? looks pretty isolated.

anyone ride the wyman pod yet? how did it hold up over its first winter? my fear this fall was seeing that many of the banked turns seem to be holding water at the bottoms. anyone have a report?
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:04 pm

despite the grade that area does not drain well at all. its closed, probably really wet and muddy and not that fun to ride currently. I don't believe any construction has started either. Something like 15" of rain so far this month. Try kayaking or surfing
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:22 pm

bigelow wrote:despite the grade that area does not drain well at all. its closed, probably really wet and muddy and not that fun to ride currently. I don't believe any construction has started either. Something like 15" of rain so far this month. Try kayaking or surfing

They got about 5” in a hour earlier tonight in Jay/Wilton. Sounds like rt 4 might be impassable in a few spots for a few days, pics and vids are nuts! If you are heading to loaf tomorrow suggest using another route.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:38 am

i saw a pic of what i think was 133 in wilton and the road was gone.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:50 am

Pow on the Mao wrote:i saw a pic of what i think was 133 in wilton and the road was gone.

Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:03 am

we have a parking lot! all you out of towners (hehe) can now drive to the stoney brook / wyman pod as there is a sizeable parking lot and trailhead under construction right now. looks pretty close to finished too!

wyman now has the AT lot, mtn bike lot, firewarden/ horns pond trail head and secondary AT trailhead.
truley the epicenter of outdoor living.. :D
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:10 pm

the parking lot is siiiiiiiick
i think it will be a car camping hot spot.

big, beautiful trailhead parking is nearly complete at the stoney brook. lovely fencing going in and decorative, protective boulders in place. will have signage and.... drumroll please... a privy. tank and toilet already in.
great summer for growing grass too. trail remains closed.

wyman, so hot right now, wyman.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:22 am

i'm not sure the stoney brook trail has opened yet this season. still closed. and with biblical downpours yesterday it wont open anytime soon.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Return to Mountain Biking