A little more trail detail

Mountain Biking in Carrabassett Valley and Beyond

A little more trail detail

Postby skiridemaine » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am

Hey, doing some research for an upcoming trip - we usually travel around a bit when skiing is done and school gets out but this year seems like a good time for a good old fashioned staycation!

Looking for some family friendly-ish (not too friendly) day trips we could do on the CV trails. For reference we're 2 adults and 2 preteens that spend a lot of time skiing/hiking/biking so slightly more outdoorsy than your average couch potato and we don't scare easily. On bikes we range from the low end of intermediate to the high end of intermediate. Trying to string together some full-day rides that are out-and-back and squarely in the intermediate range.

Watching some videos it appears the Narrow Gauge trail wouldn't be exciting enough and Oak Knoll (down) ALMOST appears too rocky/technical in a couple steeper spots although it's hard to gauge how steep a trail is from a video. Mostly us adults don't want to take a pounding all day on hardtails if we don't need to. Jabba the Hut looks about like what we're looking for probably - although OK and JTH are both rated blue so go figure.

It looks like we could string together a couple days of fun riding right around the outdoor center and maybe a day or two riding the Narrow Gauge trail and exploring sidetracks like Grassy Loops, Meade, Mike's, Crockertown, etc without getting too far from civilization.

Are most of the blues around the outdoor center pretty straightforward intermediate trails? Are there any to avoid or seek out? What makes the few black trails right there - Cinderella, Bob's Backyard, Bob's Bruiser - harder? Steepness? Technical features? Drops?

I'll take any and all input you want to provide. Thanks!
skiridemaine
Sugarloafer

Re: A little more trail detail

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 pm

yo SRM, I've been exploring myself. this is my first real mtn bike season in CV with significant trail time. here's my observations:

it took me about 10 rides on my old hard tail to decide i need to get rid of the hard tail to ride in CV. it doesn't do you any good on the majority of the terrain here. the rocks and roots will murder your grundle. green trails are ok... but as you get into the blue it gets a bit rough.

some of the trail designations are suspect. i.e. Jerusalem is blue, but IMO... it ain't blue. its technical as shit. Mike's is easier than J-town.
from Meade south off the Gauge is all good for intermediate with the exception of the J-town loop and probably camel humps.

for a longer ride try the newton's revenge re-route. i think i like it better than oak knoll. i like to go up the camel humps entrance off the NG, head up the logging road to the rock cairn. take a left on 307, go up past crommett's overlook and link up with the MH&T junction at Stratton hut. climb up the road and before you get to the approach trail intersection you will see the top of the Newton's re-route on your left. its fun, smooth, and spits you out at the bottom of oak knoll and eventually the NG at grassy loops/ goldenrod. should be ok for the whole fam.

i'd also urge you to check out freeman ridge, its cool, def intermediate stuff.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby skiridemaine » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Hey PotM, thanks for the reply!

When you talk about upgrading to FS picture me with my fingers in my ears and humming - I really don't need anymore motivation to upgrade right now...although my grundle would thank me. Someday...

I hear you about designations. They're subjective, obviously. My son (when he was 8yo) asked me why Kings is a blue but Hayburner is a black since they're pretty much the same exact trail. No idea buddy.

Good to know about all those offshoots from NG (south of Meade). Between those and Newton's and Grassy Loops that could make for a fun day lapping around over there. There is a decent vid on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDep_ICFYw but the poster doesn't seem clear on if he is on OK or NR for most of it, I don't blame him the map is confusing as shit around there. It's hard to follow the map along with the vid because the trails are all intertwined and even the blown-up inset on the map is a bit confusing to someone that hasn't lived it. Either way it looks doable for everyone. Looks like just what we're looking for!

Freeman Ridge - saw your post on that place the other day and definitely have it on the list to check out. Trail map looks great. Half day of entertainment do you suppose or is it worth a full day?
skiridemaine
Sugarloafer

Postby cveccentric » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 am

Check with Bob Ash at Carrabassett Valley Bike (Valley Cross location at Happy Tunes). Bob knows the local trails well and I'm sure he can make good recommendations. 207-235-8863
https://www.facebook.com/CarrabassettValleyBike/?fbclid=IwAR1-c8G313_p0iEpn8OraZWR4qipaYoJp9LKaR20gQEfAyUGHwCqTVH2fg0
cveccentric
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am

skiridemaine wrote:Hey PotM, thanks for the reply!

When you talk about upgrading to FS picture me with my fingers in my ears and humming - I really don't need anymore motivation to upgrade right now...although my grundle would thank me. Someday...

I hear you about designations. They're subjective, obviously. My son (when he was 8yo) asked me why Kings is a blue but Hayburner is a black since they're pretty much the same exact trail. No idea buddy.

Good to know about all those offshoots from NG (south of Meade). Between those and Newton's and Grassy Loops that could make for a fun day lapping around over there. There is a decent vid on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDep_ICFYw but the poster doesn't seem clear on if he is on OK or NR for most of it, I don't blame him the map is confusing as shit around there. It's hard to follow the map along with the vid because the trails are all intertwined and even the blown-up inset on the map is a bit confusing to someone that hasn't lived it. Either way it looks doable for everyone. Looks like just what we're looking for!

Freeman Ridge - saw your post on that place the other day and definitely have it on the list to check out. Trail map looks great. Half day of entertainment do you suppose or is it worth a full day?

Video is descending Newtons for the most part. The very first part is Oak knoll....the section from leaving the Hut to where the video says "is this Oak Knoll or Newtons"? The trails are one in the same for a short stretch right there, kinda like I-95 and 128.

Newtons is the original Maine Huts and Trails Corridor trail that accesses the Stratton Brook Hut (which is no longer open BTW). This was an OK trail to descend, but it was really too steep for most to climb enjoyably. Enter the Newtons re-routes. These are sections of singletrack that were added as off-shoots of the original Newtons trail to provide switch backs up and around grades, and to provide an overall more enjoyable experience. These re-routes ride great in both directions.

Oak Knoll was one of the first iconic builds in the area and it also rides great in both directions. But if you are riding tired iron and worried about your taint, and still want to check it out, I would climb it. You will get beat up descending it, mostly because there is some chunder and it is long (almost 3 miles). It isn't technical or scary. In the same zone Bear trail is also worth lapping in conjunction with the Approach trail, excellent trail right there. Newtons, Oak and Bear all require some fitness....they are uphill. If you are hill adverse the stuff off the gauge is flat and worth riding. It might seem or look like a meh zone on the map, but ride it all up and back in both directions and it will be a pretty solid ride for most.

Lots of other stuff in the ODC with Par 3 and Lowland being the newest and probably the most interesting to many... and close to the center.

Lots of other stuff to explore too. Checking in with Bob is a good idea. Allspeed should be open July 1 at ODC and the Lodge open at that time too.

Good luck and have fun
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Return to Mountain Biking