The old Big Sky Gondola

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

The old Big Sky Gondola

Postby Alpiner » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 am

Finally took a little mtb ride to go check out the old Big Sky Gondola that gets mentioned here now and then. The cars look pretty rough. I wonder why they went to the great expense to ship them here only to let them rot. I would think the shipping cost would have been great enough that the logic would have been (a) "ok, if we ship them here, we're going all the way with this project", but it seems it was (b) "ehh, let's just get them here and then see what happens." Or was it (c) Boyne saying "shoot, we have nowhere to dispose of this gondola other than CV"? Who knows the history?

Standing in one spot, this is looking left:

and this is looking right:

Seemed like there are about 30 cars there, they go back in rows. Wasn't inspired to count them.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Re: The old Big Sky Gondola

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 am

Those look like great old gondola cars. Seems like plenty of room inside for passengers versus our old eggs (which were great, too, in their own way). I agree it's a shame to let them go to waste... the missed opportunity is emblematic of dysfunction. Seems like the next new development might be the survey line between Bucksaw and West Mountain. I've got a new 2020 plan. $20 million for a two stage gondola from bottom of survey line to Bully's to summit, plus a $20 million new hotel at the base of the survey line. Hopefully won't have to wait 2020 more years for something like this to happen. You can see clearly how it might work in this shot:

http://www.sugarloaf.com/media-room/pre ... gland-pass
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Re: The old Big Sky Gondola

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm

crusher, i'll give you $300 for one with intact windows. $500 if you deliver to Wyman.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Return to General Discussion