Need New Ice Carvers

Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Tells us about your gear so the knowledge won't be lost if you ski into a tree.

Need New Ice Carvers

Postby Skimaine » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:18 pm

My hard snow skis bit the shit last weekend. They were Blizzard Magnums 8.0 and they will be missed. I am going to use my son's Bizzard Brahmas while I consider a replacement. The Brahmas are a great fit for Sugarloaf, but I would like a ski that really at home on those hard snow days.

I tried the new version of the Volkl RTM 84 in December and really liked those. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, has anybody skied the Blizzard Quattro line. I think they replace the Magnums.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Re: Need New Ice Carvers

Postby philwags » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 am

I've had varying results getting after input from others; I bought a pair of Blizzard Cochise a few years back on recommendations of a few friends and absolutely despised them. On the flip side after other friends raved about their Kastle MX88 I purchased a pair and loved them.

What I took from this was there's no experience like your own experience - no matter what you get for opinions from others make sure you try before you buy. Any decent ski shop will have a fleet of demo skis so make sure to take a few on a test run, it's well worth spending a few bucks on demos (which usually you can recoup) than to plunk down $600/$800/$1200 to find out your new ride is anything less than awe-inspiring.

IIRC Spring Demo Day is this Saturday so there's an opportunity to try a bunch of stuff; though unfortunately with the current forecast ice might be a little harder to find this weekend. :wink:

That's my $0.02. Good luck! (And try the MX88's if they're there.)
philwags
Sugarloafer

Postby TheHangingJudge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:39 am

I agree with Philwags. Ski reviews are specific to the user and style. Sliders will have different opinion than carvers about hard snow skis. Just as you can get two very different trail condition opinions from two different skiers. What is your soft snow ski? A lot of folks will recommend their ski when it is their only ski. IMO folks that have multiple skis don't (likely shouldn't) pick the same ski that someone who will only own one ski would pick. My soft snow ski is very different than my carver. So if you have multiple skis you have the luxury to pick something very different. I absolutely love my carving ski, but wouldn't have picked it if it were my only ski 100% of the time.

So the Volkl RTM series are fantastic fun skis especially for someone skiing SL and only having one ski. That said if you have a soft snow ski, you might consider an even more carving centric ski like the Volkl Code series. I have skied both and would likely pick the Vwerks Code over RTM series because of my other ski. The new Quattro line looks interesting. It would suspect it would be a change from your old Magnums as the turning radius has changed pretty substantially. For me, I would prefer the new shapes compared to the old, but that is where each persons opinions vary.

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. Then talk about it. Maybe everyone else talks about equipment on other forums, but maybe if this forum had a more active equipment discussions we could have less ski lift or "destroyed" conversations. Sounds more interesting, but maybe that's just me.
TheHangingJudge
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 pm

I agree with Philwags and the Judge on all accounts. It is the same advice I give others. I was looking to fill-out my demo list and will add the Kastle and Code Speed.

My soft snow ski is Rossi Soul 7. They are 2016 demos I picked-up this summer. Never demoed them (against my own advice) but the price was too good to pass up. I absolutely love this ski when there is snow under them, which has often until the last couple of weekends. I took them to Telluride and just had a great time on them.

Unfortunately, I am going to miss demo day on Saturday, but will plunk down the coin to try a few on my list the next chance I get.

I am finding Sugarloaf is not carrying the narrow versions of the RTM's and Quatto's. They only have the 84's which fit a one ski quiver very nice. I want something with more bite and quicker edge to edge.

Thanks for the advice.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby TheHangingJudge » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:47 pm

I understand where you are coming from regarding narrow carving skis. The manufacturers have gone to the wider hard snow skis are built for higher level skiers with the exception of the race skis. My carving ski, Nordica Firearrow 84 EDT, is a great example of that logic. This is the top of the Firearrow lineup and a huge jump from the 84 Pro with all others being narrower and softer. The EDT is no longer made. Rossi, Atomic, Volkl all did it with the experience, vantage X, and rtm line respectively. They generally consider wider more advanced with a few exceptions.

You could also look at the Nordica GT 84 TI EVO if you can get past the 84 underfoot.

You may just be happy with a race ski.
TheHangingJudge
Sugarloafer

Postby jimskime » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I like my Brahmas and Dynastar but I'm considering digging deep and edging back into the Stocklis. I miss my old laser SCs.
jimskime
Sugarloafer

Return to Gear Reviews