Outdoor Tech Bluetooth Helmet Speakers CHIPS

Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Tells us about your gear so the knowledge won't be lost if you ski into a tree.

Outdoor Tech Bluetooth Helmet Speakers CHIPS

Postby heavysquad2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:56 pm

I picked these up at Sidecountry Sports last year. They work great, I have never ran out of battery in a day. I really like the large pause/play button. You can stop the music with your glove on. I thought I had lost the unique charger. I went to their website and found I could buy a new one for $7.50 pretty fair. I then found the cord and was able to cancel the purchase just by replying to the confirmation email. I would definitely recommend buying them.

https://www.outdoortechnology.com/produ ... 2888773774
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN mountain mountain mountain.......
heavysquad2
Sugarloafer

Re: Outdoor Tech Bluetooth Helmet Speakers CHIPS

Postby Skimaine » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Love them for the reasons you mentioned. I wish I could charge them without opening the drop in flap.

I noticed on their website they have a new version that is completely wireless (no wire needed to connect the right and left speakers). It costs some $$$$.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Agree with the previous comments. I've had mine for 3 seasons. I wasn't that impressed with sound quality (I'm a lapsed audiophile nerd so you can hold that against me), but in the context of their intended use they were more than adequate. I've found that their sound quality really does improve with better input sources. I've used a Hidizs DAP (Digital Audio Player) and was pleasantly surprised by how much better the Chips sounded than with my iPhone.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 pm

I have them and like them too, and agree with the biggest problem being having to unzip the pouch in my helmet to charge them.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby TheHangingJudge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:24 am

Skimaine wrote:Love them for the reasons you mentioned. I wish I could charge them without opening the drop in flap.

I noticed on their website they have a new version that is completely wireless (no wire needed to connect the right and left speakers). It costs some $$$$.

Downside to the new ones is that you have to take both sides out to charge. There is no plug. Charges in a case I believe.
TheHangingJudge
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:32 pm

TheHangingJudge wrote:
Skimaine wrote:Love them for the reasons you mentioned. I wish I could charge them without opening the drop in flap.

Downside to the new ones is that you have to take both sides out to charge. There is no plug. Charges in a case I believe.

Agreed. It might be worth it depending on how often they need to be charged.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:48 am

Eeek, I'll stick with the wired version between headphone speakers. I have mine reversed left and right simply to not have to open the zipper all the way. I've had three Smith helmets, two for me, 1 for Mrs. WoA, and all three zippers around the earpads/neck area have presented a pitched battle just to open; and then a frenzied battle to close without destroying zipper teeth or pulls.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Return to Gear Reviews