Ski Suggestions

Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Tells us about your gear so the knowledge won't be lost if you ski into a tree.

Ski Suggestions

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 am

Need to find some skis for my oldest. He's 14, 5' 9", 145, solid skier. I've been on blizzard skis for the past 5 seasons, so really looking for perspective on some of the other brands. Looking for something in the 170+/- range with versatility. Like many kids, he spends a lot of time in the trees, so he will value a quick and nimble ski. I think he skis too fast, so I'm hoping for stability too. Skis will be mounted with burly AT bindings, but he's a strong young buck so ski weight won't be a deciding factor. I'm thinking something 90-100mm underfoot range (he's been on 164cm / 85mm+/- underfoot past two seasons). What say the sage experts of this board?
Kenny
Sugarloafer

Re: Ski Suggestions

Postby Ski_The_East » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Kenny wrote:Need to find some skis for my oldest. He's 14, 5' 9", 145, solid skier. I've been on blizzard skis for the past 5 seasons, so really looking for perspective on some of the other brands. Looking for something in the 170+/- range with versatility. Like many kids, he spends a lot of time in the trees, so he will value a quick and nimble ski. I think he skis too fast, so I'm hoping for stability too. Skis will be mounted with burly AT bindings, but he's a strong young buck so ski weight won't be a deciding factor. I'm thinking something 90-100mm underfoot range (he's been on 164cm / 85mm+/- underfoot past two seasons). What say the sage experts of this board?

i personally rock 135cm twins. they work nice in the trees. for 5'9"? id go 150 :D
Ski_The_East

Postby surfingkiwi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Well if I was looking for some new skis I would go for the K2 Shreditor. http://en-us.k2skis.com/skis/shreditor-102
surfingkiwi
Sugarloafer

Postby TheHangingJudge » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:37 pm

If I were looking to replace my blizzards, I would look at Nordica's NRGY 100. It is one ski I would like to try this year. I haven't had the chance to ski it yet, so I have no personal experience. My son, about the same size as your only 4 years older, is on Nordica Helldorado in 185 that he loves, but they are fat and heavy for one and only ski. It was his primary ski beside an old pair of Line 90's until he got some new groomer skis this past year. Nordica is really building some nice skis that are not getting the same attention as the Rossi, Blizzard and Volkl lately. They seem to be finding a nice balance of stiffness with the metal layup for the groomers, but the camrock early rise tips still float off piste and cut through the crud. I personally think the Blizzards are a bit overrated. (I may get shot for this comment as they are extremely popular at the Loaf.) The turning radius on many of the Blizzards generally seem a bit long and I wish there was a little more camber underfoot with an early rise tip and tail.

https://www.nordicausa.com/product-deta ... number=BLK

Hopefully you will get a few good suggestions to demo.
TheHangingJudge
Sugarloafer

Postby wigman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:27 am

Ski_The_East wrote:
Kenny wrote:Need to find some skis for my oldest. He's 14, 5' 9", 145, solid skier. I've been on blizzard skis for the past 5 seasons, so really looking for perspective on some of the other brands. Looking for something in the 170+/- range with versatility. Like many kids, he spends a lot of time in the trees, so he will value a quick and nimble ski. I think he skis too fast, so I'm hoping for stability too. Skis will be mounted with burly AT bindings, but he's a strong young buck so ski weight won't be a deciding factor. I'm thinking something 90-100mm underfoot range (he's been on 164cm / 85mm+/- underfoot past two seasons). What say the sage experts of this board?

i personally rock 135cm twins. they work nice in the trees. for 5'9"? id go 150 :D

Way too short
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby wigman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 am

Souls 7s 175 is what I recommend. I live in the trees. Mine are 180. They ski short due to their strange but good shape.
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby Elgorr » Sun May 08, 2016 12:02 pm

wigman wrote:Souls 7s 175 is what I recommend. I live in the trees. Mine are 180. They ski short due to their strange but good shape.

Hey Wig, sorry to ressurect this thread, but how has the durability been on those soul 7's? I'm thinking about getting a pair but I know what sugarloaf conditions does to skis. :roll:
Drop knees, not bombs
Elgorr
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Sun May 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Look who it is! The famous Eliot Gorr! Tell evan I say hi
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Return to Gear Reviews