Tele - It's Time

Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Tells us about your gear so the knowledge won't be lost if you ski into a tree.

Tele - It's Time

Postby gamway73 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 am

Okay, time to make the tele switch. Where should I purchase my first set up? My current downhill's are Volkl Bridges from a couple years back. Love them.
If I was a rock, I'd be a steep rock that held snow.
gamway73
Sugarloafer

Re: Tele - It's Time

Postby rocket » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Happy Tunes!
rocket
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:17 pm

gamway73 wrote:Okay, time to make the tele switch. Where should I purchase my first set up? My current downhill's are Volkl Bridges from a couple years back. Love them.

Just don't ever switch your avatar. 8)
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 pm

gamway73 wrote:Okay, time to make the tele switch. Where should I purchase my first set up? My current downhill's are Volkl Bridges from a couple years back. Love them.

This is just a short term withdrawal from lack of skiing. Don't be so rash
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:16 am

Spending too much time at basketball games are we?
Eventually you will come to your senses, and when you do you will realize that if you fix the heal you will fix the problem :)
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Yes, yes, come to the dark side. Happy Tunes has some tele gear. If you are in the portland area, AllSpeed has a great selection of gear, and they spend a lot of time on it. If you're starting from scratch, consider the NTN set up.
Kenny
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:17 pm

Kenny wrote:Yes, yes, come to the dark side. Happy Tunes has some tele gear. If you are in the portland area, AllSpeed has a great selection of gear, and they spend a lot of time on it. If you're starting from scratch, consider the NTN set up.

If your starting from scratch ...turn back to the light while you can!
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:21 am

Love the sticker:
"No one cares that you tele"
Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip
And come on up to the Mothership
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby Triple Point » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Make a commitment to it and you will be rewarded.
Don't be dissuaded by those who don't know.
The mountain will be challenging again, the mundane will become sublime, the extreme, awe inspiring.
Anybody can alpine. Enjoy.
Triple Point
Sugarloafer

Postby SkitheLoaf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:42 am

I say go for it! I started 5 years ago, and I enjoyed the new challenge (most of the time). There were a times in the beginning when I contemplated what I was doing because my legs burned, I struggled to keep up with my non-tele friends and I wasn't able to ski the glades/bumps the way I knew I could on alpine gear. However, I'm glade I stuck with it. It's a ton of fun, plus the boots are soooo much more comfortable!

Alpine will always be there if you want to go back.

Also, keep an eye on the site (linked below) for this years telefest. Historically it has been held the first Saturday of February at Mt. Abram. You can get two free clinics (available for all skill levels), they have free demos, and a free beer :D

New England Telemark (NET) Site: http://www.netelemark.com/festivals.htm

Telemarkeast Forum: http://www.telemarkeast.com/forums/index.php?sid=56159e4b0338f3f008b0adcf938ab295

Good luck!
Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby rocket » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Another reason to tele' is a much lower strain on the knee. Having patrolled for 11 years I never took a tele' skier off the hill from a knee injury. Others whom have converted after an injury agree.

As for skis, weather your on alpine or a tele' setup, standing on your toes/ball of your foot you bend it depending on the conditions.
rocket
Sugarloafer

Return to Gear Reviews