No Ski Races This Year at Saddleback

No Ski Races This Year at Saddleback

Postby salsgang » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:24 am

Looks like Saddleback is not going to hold ski races this year... but the Junior Alpine Race Development program is still being offered. More info on my blog:

http://maineskifamily.blogspot.com/2011/11/saddleback-maine-hosting-ski-races.html

Overall it probably doesn't materially impact the majority of the skiers at Saddleback - and I am sure they will enjoy having Grey Ghost open on busy weekends. Selfishly, with two school Alpine racers in my family they won't be able to race on their home mountain which is kinda too bad.
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Re: No Ski Races This Year at Saddleback

Postby SkitheLoaf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Nice blog. Thanks for listing all of the ski swaps. One comment, that you had the Brunswick Swap on the 6th, but I believe it's on the 7th.
Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby salsgang » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 pm

SkitheLoaf wrote:Nice blog. Thanks for listing all of the ski swaps. One comment, that you had the Brunswick Swap on the 6th, but I believe it's on the 7th.

Thanks for the props - I believe the 6th is correct. Here is a link from the Brunswick park and rec site:

http://www.brunswickme.org/parkrec/
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby SkitheLoaf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Damn, I had a link to a flyer from last year! Had I looked at it, it would have made since that the swap wasn't on a Monday. This is why you're the one with the blog, and not me :D
Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby salsgang » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm

SkitheLoaf wrote:Damn, I had a link to a flyer from last year! Had I looked at it, it would have made since that the swap wasn't on a Monday. This is why you're the one with the blog, and not me :D

No problem. I am sure this forum community will keep me on my toes. ;-)
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 am

It was a tough decision Salsgang to not have races this year, but we felt with the fact 3/4 of our racing staff had retired or had gone overseas working it was better to not do a race then to do them poorly. With Saddleback's increase in business in recent years, doing the races during vacation week has become impractical. It's too bad the MPA insists on having the races during our busiest week of the year (February Vacation). Logistically it makes it a big challenge. Notice SL and SR don't hold MPA races during their February Vacation either. We notified MPA of this change the first week of September in order to give them plenty of time to make a change, I guess they chose to wait until the past few days to get the word out.

As you mentioned the racing development program will be going strong, just the actual races will be at other mountains, sorry to disappoint your boys.
Sugarloaf, Saddleback and Sunday River..... The Western Maine Alps
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby salsgang » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 pm

farmboy wrote:With Saddleback's increase in business in recent years, doing the races during vacation week has become impractical. It's too bad the MPA insists on having the races during our busiest week of the year (February Vacation).

Amen! I am sure there are no easy answers to scheduling but getting the state meet out of the Feb break is going to increase the opportunities for the MPA. I am sure my kids will fully support missing school days to ski!
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby Loafman138 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Bummer. I bet a lot of kids and families crossed paths with Saddleback who other-wise wouldn't have. Does put big strain on the Rangeley and Trail networking losing the ghost. Is the Doctor not long enough? If I was a racer that's what I would want to race on. Maybe they'll come back some other year
Skiing is more than an activity, it's a life style.
Loafman138
Sugarloafer

Return to Saddleback discussion