Sugarloaf's first six pack

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Sugarloaf's first six pack

Postby Crystalmountainskier » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:53 am

Crystalmountainskier
Sugarloafer

Re: Sugarloaf's first six pack

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:47 am

We’ll take it!
Prefer the Timberline replacement and extension down to Bullwinkles.
Extending King Pine (a relatively new lift) would be good for Brackett (which isn’t open a lot) but result in a long runout from the regular trails
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Interesting...heavier chairs would help on either of these lifts. I assume you could move KP terminal to DRC and add a loading conveyer.

Replacing KP before SQ or Timberline seems like a funny order but maybe the recent issue is creating more urgency to replace. Maybe the Timberline replacement will take a lot of time and money given permitting etc.

Maybe CVA Tbar and Bucksaw Express are taking enough demand off SQ?
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:05 pm

Guy obviously knows nothing about Sugarloaf.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:54 pm

Alpiner wrote:Guy obviously knows nothing about Sugarloaf.

He went to college in Maine and considers sugarloaf his home mountain. You seemingly know nothing about lifts though.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:10 pm

shot ski wrote:

He went to college in Maine and considers sugarloaf his home mountain. You seemingly know nothing about lifts though.

You're rather cranky lately, what's up? Chipper was made to meet the bottom of an extended Timberline on its current alignment. Running a new Timberline where it appears on his map would put towers on Sugarloaf's signature trail, Tote Road. Bad idea.

I really don't think Sugarloaf's first bubble is going to be on King Pine, but I suppose if they are much more wind resistant and we've got a nice used one being offered to us it might make sense.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Crystalmountainskier » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Alpiner wrote:
shot ski wrote:

You're rather cranky lately, what's up? Chipper was made to meet the bottom of an extended Timberline on its current alignment. Running a new Timberline where it appears on his map would put towers on Sugarloaf's signature trail, Tote Road. Bad idea.

I really don't think Sugarloaf's first bubble is going to be on King Pine, but I suppose if they are much more wind resistant and we've got a nice used one being offered to us it might make sense.

It’s not a bubble. Regular old six pack.
Crystalmountainskier
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:50 am

Please be nice! Peter is a real person and is also a lurker occasional poster here! Enjoy the snow!
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:58 am

saw Carl at Rack sunday apres... blurted something to the effect of six shooter, big sky, sugarloaf, i'm so happy.
he played it very coy.. said nothing is official, wanted to know where i heard that from. i said twitter of course...
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 am

I was hoping this would happen. The wide chair spacing to maintain lower capacity and wind resistance seem perfect for a timberline replacement. Agree that the sketch doesn’t really make sense. Imagine it will route very close to current timberline alignment. Will be interesting to see the cheese grater they put in at the unload.

Like Bucksaw, this would be a massive improvement. Keep the recycled lifts coming Boyne!!!
The snow globe is always half full
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:24 am

Crystalmountainskier wrote:It’s not a bubble. Regular old six pack.

Gotcha. I still don't see Sugarloaf's first 6 being King Pine.

skiloaf wrote:Please be nice! Peter is a real person and is also a lurker occasional poster here! Enjoy the snow!

Sorry, I get protective of my favorite mountain when I see bad ideas proposed for it. Roar.

Pow on the Mao wrote:saw Carl at Rack sunday apres... blurted something to the effect of six shooter, big sky, sugarloaf, i'm so happy.
he played it very coy.. said nothing is official, wanted to know where i heard that from. i said twitter of course...

Sweet scoop!
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Lawshark » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 am

You know...looking at google maps...it looks very doable to realign Timberline more toward/over Binder which would send it fairly close to Bullies. It would be a shame to lose Binder...but if it means a better connection to multiple lifts...
Lawshark
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:44 am

I was studying the trail map late last night and thought the exact same thing! An alignment closer to middle Binder and Cinder Hoe could work.

Looking forward to the more talented board members to create in depth mock-ups for us all to debate!!
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:05 am

Lawshark wrote:You know...looking at google maps...it looks very doable to realign Timberline more toward/over Binder which would send it fairly close to Bullies. It would be a shame to lose Binder...but if it means a better connection to multiple lifts...

NO! Everybody loves Binder as is, especially kids. It's one of the few remaining classic connections to Sugarloaf's past. Chipper is the way.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 am

If Sugarloaf installs this impressive lift on Timberline, do you think Sugarloaf will be able to cut a few more trails outside the current boundaries to make it more worthwhile? It's great that the season is going out with a bang with all this snowfall because it keeps the momentum and excitement building to do more on the mountain. I firmly believe the teamwork that resulted in the Bucksaw Express development was proof of concept of capability and execution. Also, if I'm selling million dollar lots on West Mountain, I'm going to want to announce the next phase of the Bullies to summit upgrade. Even if it doesn't actually get installed this summer, an announcement that it will be installed in the summer of 2025 is probably sufficient to pique the interest level of big money real estate buyers. For this reason, I think if we get this lift it will go in on Timberline rather than King Pine. On the flip side, King Pine does look like it could use some love and there's more terrain over there to make use of higher capacity.
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 am

By the way, this old T-bar at Eaton Mountain used to be Sugarloaf's Timberline T-Bar, right? Funny. We've come a long way, baby.

https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/li ... otoid=5501
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 am

goldenboy80 wrote:If Sugarloaf installs this impressive lift on Timberline, do you think Sugarloaf will be able to cut a few more trails outside the current boundaries to make it more worthwhile?

Can't go much further west, there is a STEEP drop-off and next thing you're on Caribou Pond Rd. like that kid who got lost for 2 days many years ago
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby ceo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:37 am

The one issue with a Timberline replacement starting at the bend in Chipper (if indeed that's what the plan is) is that it makes it much more of a pain to get to the summit from the main base area. Unless they put in a one-sided loading midstation where the current base terminal is.
ceo
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 am

Why do we want people to be able to stumble out of Barwinkles and access the gnarliest terrain on the east coast?
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Lawshark » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:31 pm

Alpiner wrote:
Lawshark wrote:You know...looking at google maps...it looks very doable to realign Timberline more toward/over Binder which would send it fairly close to Bullies. It would be a shame to lose Binder...but if it means a better connection to multiple lifts...

NO! Everybody loves Binder as is, especially kids. It's one of the few remaining classic connections to Sugarloaf's past. Chipper is the way.

YES!

But…I’m currently chilling on an Adirondack chair at Bullie’s in the sun looking at the summit…and after looking back down from timberline lift I had an epiphany…you can eliminate Binder…and Binder will be reincarnated.

The path of the current configuration can be renamed and will have a VERY similar feel.

Problem solved.
Lawshark
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:57 pm

The timberline lift line will look and feel like binder? seriously? The lift line is 3 times wider in most places and you know they would love to merge tin pants with it to make it even more wider. Its also as straight as as as as a lift line because it is in fact, a lift line.
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Lawshark » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:35 pm

There is a little back and forth with Binder….but not that much…it’s not like it is Scoot…you’ve got that turn heading past Tin Pants….but other than that…how much really?

When my kids were younger what they loved about Binder was that it was a narrow trail that was fun..the lift line is not that much wider through most of it.

I’d trade that for a new lift config
Lawshark
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm

I disagree 1000%. You don't know Binder. :P
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby ceo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:05 pm

Binder is nothing like a lift line; it's far too narrow and that's part of why it's such a fun trail. (It's been my favorite trail at Sugarloaf the entire >45 years I've been skiing there, and I still wish they'd reopen the lower part.)
ceo
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm

My gut says that management would be willing to sacrifice a unique and very fun old school trail that doesn’t get a ton of traffic compared with some of the “premier” terrain if it meant getting a new, more reliable lift to the summit that started in the vicinity of Bullys (like maybe about as far as Bucksaw is currently, but over to the west).

But this is only speculation on the internet, of course!
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby ceo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:46 pm

Looking at a Binder-ish alignment for Timberline on a topo map, it appears the top of it would have to be somewhat downhill from the old summit lodge, where most of the trails from the summit start.
ceo
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:06 pm

I wonder where Peter gets his info on those alignments... none of these make sense to me.

If any of this is true, then that means that they will replace SQ with a brand-new lift, which is good news.

My prediction is that they will refurbish the six-shooter and replace SQ with it for the 2025-2026 season. I would like to remind you, however, that my predictions are always wrong, especially on this blog.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:56 pm

Its going to be from the new trail. The topography and lift line are perfect, its literally an exact extension of the current line, its no coincidence that the mountain cut the trail downhill to the spot, then has the trail traverse back towards bucksaw. Im willing to bet that the mock up on the map was just to show a general idea of where its going to be, and wasn't meant to be an exact mockup that was broken down by everyone on here as gospel, no point in arguing what trails its going to mess up because it isnt going to be any that currently exist. You guys are completely overanalyzing the map on twitter. The topo works to cut some trails below the current timberline pod that wrap around the knoll and reconnect with chipper. Getting here from the current TL isnt much more of a hassle, going down TR or TL is actually a better and longer run anyway than it currently is.
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby cruiser » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:17 pm

Thought doppelmayr wasn't rebuilding garaventa ctec lifts. But if they are funny to see sugarloaf as the little sibling to Big Sky getting all the hand me downs. Guess some siblings rate higher than others. Would the detachable 6 chairs be more wind resistant than the fixed grip quad? Since we are looking at about 50% wind hold days for the current timberline I sure would hope whatever lift they use to the top will be more wind resistant. I am sure that is in their consideration.

Extending timberline doesn't help with lapping the top of the mountain. The Big Sky new tram remedied that problem there compared to the old beer can tram.

Remember those mailings (or emails) we got a number of years ago asking about interest in luxury lots over around Burnt and Bracket? If you extend King Pine down you can open up a ton of lots that could be "ski in Ski out". I did Burnt today and looked around and there is a good amount of land that really can't be used for trails. So I bet ROI would be much greater with that plan. Sell a ton of lots for similar money to the Dutchmans woods on West. Should pay for the refurb of the lift. Plus seems there is some focus on King Pine foundations at present so good optics to show they are totally fixing safety issues. I just hope we can keep multiple tower 1s on the new lift as that is confidence inspiring on the current.

Really just hope there is some hope for a heated bubble at some point as it can be a game changer on cold days.

Will be interesting to watch it all play out. But lots still moving with West Mountain so wonder what capacity is for multiple moving parts.

John
cruiser
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm

myell wrote:My gut says that management would be willing to sacrifice a unique and very fun old school trail that doesn’t get a ton of traffic compared with some of the “premier” terrain if it meant getting a new, more reliable lift to the summit that started in the vicinity of Bullys (like maybe about as far as Bucksaw is currently, but over to the west).

But this is only speculation on the internet, of course!

Binder gets tons of traffic!!

;)
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Next

Return to General Discussion