Bucksaw Express Announcement

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Bucksaw Express Announcement

Postby DoubleBitter » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:05 pm

This deserves its own, new topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAc7G1eGZ2M
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Re: Bucksaw Express Announcement

Postby Pow on the Mao » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:41 pm

yea buddy. will you be able to park and ski there from mud lots?
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:43 pm

I’m atwitter with anticipation
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:yea buddy. will you be able to park and ski there from mud lots?

I don’t see why not. It seems like there is enough snow on the Bucksaw trail to just groom it and open it. But I am surprised that there is no snowmaking installed on that trail. Seems like it should be a priority.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:18 am

I think this is going to be awesome. Congrats to the SL team and contractors for all the hard work that went into it. Congrats to the forum for patience and fortitude. Hopefully more happy milestones to come.
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 pm

Speaking of milestones... any bets on double runner replacement? It looks like that one is next. I would have said summer of 2025 but I think it gets pushed to summer 2026. Then Super Quad in 2028 and Timberline in 2030. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The development around Bucksaw is going-to-be / already-is a real estate bonanza that will fuel all these improvements. Once people start riding the new Bucksaw Express in a couple weeks I predict monster houses will start being built on the purchased lots.
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:15 pm

If they do replace DR I hope they keep it as far west as possible to open up the bottleneck caused by Peavy X-cut, and the double runner east unload
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:25 pm

goldenboy80 wrote:Speaking of milestones... any bets on double runner replacement? It looks like that one is next. I would have said summer of 2025 but I think it gets pushed to summer 2026. Then Super Quad in 2028 and Timberline in 2030. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The development around Bucksaw is going-to-be / already-is a real estate bonanza that will fuel all these improvements. Once people start riding the new Bucksaw Express in a couple weeks I predict monster houses will start being built on the purchased lots.

Sugarloaf's 2030 page still have DR replacement for 2024. So, perhaps this is going to happen this summer... Not sure if the management really cares about being accurate but that's what's on the website.

As far as homes being built... it will take a long, time. One, most of the lots aren't even accessible yet. The full infrastructure needs to be completed first, far from over. Second, it takes a while to get things done. Finding contractors is still a challenge. The folks who have purchased these lots will need to be extremely patient...
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:31 pm

A fixed grip quad install on falt terrain isn't that difficult of an install. Given they have a bunch of people who just built a lift, not a bad idea to put this one back to back this summer. +1 on keeping it close to DRC-W unload. I imagine unloading 4 at a time with a left hand turn only is going to require more space so maybe move the unload downhill a bit and do some earthwork. Also will be nice to have a small terminal at load and get a bit more space around the deadly intersection there.

But let's get back on topic! Buckaw is a big win for the mountain! Honestly could see them pushing SQ back a few more years if Bucksaw takes a significant load off of the SQ. Would reduce the need for higher capacity until all those new houses are built.
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:36 pm

Alpiner wrote:
Pow on the Mao wrote:yea buddy. will you be able to park and ski there from mud lots?

I don’t see why not. It seems like there is enough snow on the Bucksaw trail to just groom it and open it. But I am surprised that there is no snowmaking installed on that trail. Seems like it should be a priority.

Mountain report says they might start making snow on Lower Bucksaw tonight. Maybe there are some guns.
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
goldenboy80 wrote:Speaking of milestones... any bets on double runner replacement? It looks like that one is next. I would have said summer of 2025 but I think it gets pushed to summer 2026. Then Super Quad in 2028 and Timberline in 2030. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The development around Bucksaw is going-to-be / already-is a real estate bonanza that will fuel all these improvements. Once people start riding the new Bucksaw Express in a couple weeks I predict monster houses will start being built on the purchased lots.

Sugarloaf's 2030 page still have DR replacement for 2024. So, perhaps this is going to happen this summer... Not sure if the management really cares about being accurate but that's what's on the website.

As far as homes being built... it will take a long, time. One, most of the lots aren't even accessible yet. The full infrastructure needs to be completed first, far from over. Second, it takes a while to get things done. Finding contractors is still a challenge. The folks who have purchased these lots will need to be extremely patient...

I don't think any of the sales of these lots have actually closed yet, have they ????
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Alpiner wrote:

There are guns on the new Bucksaw trail, you can see them from lower F.
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:40 pm

If DRC gets replaced this year I will buy everyone here a beer. NGH. I'd like to see it as a HSQ so the combination with with Skyline is a viable alternative to SQ. Unload slightly downhill of current, yes. I will miss the lane to skier's left of the DRC towers.

heavysquad4 wrote:There are guns on the new Bucksaw trail, you can see them from lower F.

Cool, I have only looked from dog walking on Back Cut. There is no gear up around there.

I was really disappointed to see the "New Gondi? Screw You Boyne" picture posted on the Unofficial Sugarloaf FB page, with admin approval. Hello? Sugarloaf just build a new small ski area for you in about 9 months time, can you give them a minute? Can we thank them for all this hard work for a bit? Disgraceful.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

Alpiner wrote:
I was really disappointed to see the "New Gondi? Screw You Boyne" picture posted on the Unofficial Sugarloaf FB page, with admin approval. Hello? Sugarloaf just build a new small ski area for you in about 9 months time, can you give them a minute? Can we thank them for all this hard work for a bit? Disgraceful.

That’s just silly, pathetic actually
Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip
And come on up to the Mothership
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby heavysquad4 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:52 pm

I didn't realize the video announced the opening date is 2/9/24. it's cool that it is official. It is going to take a ton of stress off the parking lot shuttles.
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 am

From this morning's report:

Stay tuned as we could be making history later this week. Our crews are working round the clock to meet our target date of Friday, February 9th for the debut of Bucksaw Express, the new high speed quad servicing the new West Mountain terrain.

What is this language? It implies that SL always missed deadlines in the past... :)
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:52 am

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:What is this language?

CYA. Could be any number of "watch this" Millenium Falcon moments this week.

Did they auction off first chair? Missed opportunity if not.

It seems that we will not be getting Cutter or Beaver Tail to start, or maybe not at all this season. Haven't ventured over to Beaver Tail lately but Cutter still seems pretty stumpy and raw. I don't believe it or BT have snowmaking. Bucksaw, Buncha Fellas, Hatchett, and Whistle Punk will be good to go. They've also been making snow on Chipper, so I anticipate that will be open. Therefore Knot Bumper should be ready for that traffic too. If the truncated West Mountain Chair is included in this opening, then Yarder better be ready. Twitcher and WM X-cut can wait.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-drj ... rjbpcs.jpg

Now, everyone pray for no R on Saturday.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:54 pm

Alpiner wrote: It seems that we will not be getting Cutter or Beaver Tail to start, or maybe not at all this season (...)

In addition, from skiing down WM trail, it is quite apparent that Upper Beaver Tail and Yarder will not open this season. Various tubes and pipes strewn all over the place and very stumpy. Also, as far as I could see down the trails from WM, there are no snowmaking equipment installed.

Since Yarder is unlikely to open this year, I see very little use for the shortened WM lift.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:18 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:Since Yarder is unlikely to open this year, I see very little use for the shortened WM lift.

It would seem to me like a major failure to not get the WM lift running at all this year. They'd certainly be hearing from me if I owned property over there.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:31 pm

Alpiner wrote:Did they auction off first chair? Missed opportunity if not.

Who needs first chair when you can enjoy a Bucksaw beer from Orono Brewing at Bullwinkles

https://www.sugarloaf.com/events-calendar/west-mountain-opening-2924
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 pm

So now they are saying "Feb 9-11" :?
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 pm

Alpiner wrote:

So now they are saying "Feb 9-11" :?

Weather.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:59 pm

Have they started hanging the chairs yet?
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:34 pm

DoubleBitter wrote:Have they started hanging the chairs yet?

Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:45 pm

seemed like every snowmobile at SL was parked at bucksaw this morning with a flurry of work activity at the top terminal. i don't doubt the hard work going into it. and SL does not control the weather. so i'll give them that pass. but if the walkback language we've seen this week is due to it just not being ready to run... trail wise or lift wise... then all i can say is... classic sugarloaf!! i never would have made an announcement without 100% certainty it was ready to roll.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:57 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:seemed like every snowmobile at SL was parked at bucksaw this morning with a flurry of work activity at the top terminal. i don't doubt the hard work going into it. and SL does not control the weather. so i'll give them that pass. but if the walkback language we've seen this week is due to it just not being ready to run... trail wise or lift wise... then all i can say is... classic sugarloaf!! i never would have made an announcement without 100% certainty it was ready to roll.

AMEN--It was a video announcement so certainly perceived as a big deal. The weather has been great since the date was announced so unless something very unforeseen has happened it should open as planned. However, SL has a history of not being transparent with full disclosure like saying King Pine (not Kingpine) will not spin or will sit this one out rather than just state the obvious not enough manpower or maybe manpower needed to get Bucksaw ready. I thin we SL regulars can understand the situation.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby ooka » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:39 pm

From todays Sugarloaf report
"Our crews hard work is paying off and we are excited to announce that Bucksaw Express and West Mountain terrain will debut Sunday, Feb. 11th. Stay tuned on complete details for load time Sunday and new trails.

See you on the slopes."

its gettin close not quite friday the 9th - Very curious how this all pans out.
ooka
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:53 pm

ooka wrote:From todays Sugarloaf report
"Our crews hard work is paying off and we are excited to announce that Bucksaw Express and West Mountain terrain will debut Sunday, Feb. 11th. Stay tuned on complete details for load time Sunday and new trails.

See you on the slopes."

its gettin close not quite friday the 9th - Very curious how this all pans out.

The expected date has changed quite a few times, but thought the video announcement of the 9th might be a good one. I for one are dissappointed. Guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope the 11th works out.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby waldo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:16 pm

Can't make it up...
The Sugarloaf Way.
waldo
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:46 pm

Why do you guys even ski/ride here? Some of you seem so miserable all the time. #cuphalfempty
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Next

Return to General Discussion