Trip Report 1-15-22 "before the storm"

Trip Report 1-15-22 "before the storm"

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm

way late on this one but I wanted to share some love. The bird and I headed over to the 'back last Saturday while we were blacked out from SL. At that point, it was the best day of the season so far for us. (next day 1-ft dump)
rather than a long narrative I present to you 'Saddlesnacks'... bite size tidbits

-The snow quality is amazing. like not even a comparison with SL. i'm not sure if they have that much less traffic, or if the snow they made was better, or whatever it was... it was the best man-made snow surface i've skied on. maybe ever. zero ice, zero hardpack. cold chalk. remember 1-15-22 was the longest point of no snow there could have been. mute point now with the fresh stuff but my god it was so much different than the surface i'd been skiing the last several weeks at the loaf.

-Tight line opened and it was glorious. Tight line is the kind of trail you ski 3 times in a row. like if you're not going for a Turkey, you're not doing it right. at least before woods are open. i think we did 4 in a row. tight line. so hot right now.

-Saddleback or Deer Valley? great lifts, great snow, zero lines. i mean zero. sunday of MLK weekend. blue bird, no wind. yes it was single digits. but ski directly on or have maybe two groups in front of you at the gates. its like the yellowstone club.

-they moved the retail shop. good move i think. slopeside now. easier access from the bar (for those impulse buys after you're nice and lubed)

-love the bar. chicken tendies were great. salad was not great. beer selection was great.

-we moved our pre-purchased tickets from sat to sun. no problem. sent an email, drew replied, easy change at the window.

-
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Re: Trip Report 1-15-22 "before the storm"

Postby salsgang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 am

I was there Sunday too. Great ski day - concur with all your points. In the 'old days' things would of stacked up at the Rangeley double and lines a-plenty... but there was actually a good sized late-arriving crowd there. With the Rangeley HSQ, new TBar, South Branch and Kennabago running... they definitely now have capacity for more folks with all the lifts running. They need more skiers for sure but definitely trending in the right direction.

And great move to get the TBar in - that was the only lift turning last 2 days with the winds.
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:07 am

Great report. Seems like things are running smoothly at Saddleback.......just need more skiers. Interesting observation about the snowmaking........not sure what is happening at Sugarloaf but its been sub-par on a few fronts.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:12 pm

Tough to beat the experience. Broadly speaking Saddleback consistently ski's like it's out West. Probably has that feel more than any of the other New England ski areas I've been to.

Now if we can just settle into a more reasonable weather pattern. It's been really cold and windy most of this month which I'm sure as hurt skier days. With all the talk of climate change, SB and SL's location/cold weather should be an asset. But it's been a detriment for ski visits this month. Still have a long ways to go though, I'll play the averages!
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby salsgang » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:46 am

Skiing was fantastic Sunday 23rd. Tight line was the best condition I have ever skied it. Towards Low tide in open woods and natural trails, but Peachy's, Smelt, Nightmare all had solid turns available. Saddleback has it rolling right now. One storm away from wide open.
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Return to Saddleback discussion