Sugarloaf doesn't recycle?!?!

A place to discuss environmental issues and topics. Post your ideas on how to keep sugarloaf green right here!

Sugarloaf doesn't recycle?!?!

Postby JAC487 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:32 am

I had heard from some employees that management decided recycling is overrated. The recycling shack by the shuttle zone is all boarded up, and no more compost bin behind the base lodge. I thought I'd do some more digging, so I drove around to different condo trash areas. No designation as to whether the dumpsters are for recyclables or not and a quick peak into them assured me that no recycling was taking place. WTF management??? Had some great headway with the climate change talk during homecoming, but what about this dirty little secret?
JAC487
Sugarloafer

Re: Sugarloaf doesn't recycle?!?!

Postby Skimaine » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm

This is a more likely a decision by the Town of Carrabassette Valley and many others towns acrosss the state. The cost of recycling has increased dramatically. My numbers are probably wrong but something like $20 per ton to $180 per ton. This is because the Chinese are no longer accepting the recycling (and probably not dumping in the ocean). Also, the recycling dumpsters were requiring additional processing because non-recyclable trash was thrown in. You can still take your recycling to the town transfer station where you will be supervised.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby C Koch » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am

On a related topic...

Our place is off mountain but in CV. Until now we've been mainly weekenders so took our rubbish home for pickup by the trash guy. Once fully retired, we plan to spend more time in CV and less time down country.

We've been to the CV transfer station, but I don't recall whether they take regular household rubbish, ie, stuff that is not recyclable. Anyone know the answer to this? I have not been able to get any clarity from the web site other than what is and is not recyclable.

TIA.
C Koch
Sugarloafer

Postby cvagrad86 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 pm

cvagrad86
Sugarloafer

Postby cveccentric » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm

C Koch wrote:On a related topic...

Our place is off mountain but in CV. Until now we've been mainly weekenders so took our rubbish home for pickup by the trash guy. Once fully retired, we plan to spend more time in CV and less time down country.

We've been to the CV transfer station, but I don't recall whether they take regular household rubbish, ie, stuff that is not recyclable. Anyone know the answer to this? I have not been able to get any clarity from the web site other than what is and is not recyclable.

TIA.

Yes, they take regular household trash - just like everyone throws in condo/home owners./SL dumpsters on the mountain. They have a compactor for general trash and one for the acceptable recyling items. Transfer station is closed Tuesday & Wednesday but open all other days 8-4.
cveccentric
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Looks to be on the roadmap. Plus a lot of new low-e guns.
https://www.sugarloaf.com/sustainability
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Kate got done a few months ago, not sure who replaced her or what they've done.

6x the number of nozzles? Very misleading

They are not going to be a part of the solar farm at the snowfluent plant
http://www.sugarloafoutside.com
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Return to Sustainable Sugarloaf