*WHIFFLETREE FOR MTN BIKING*

A place for the rest of the year. Discuss all your off season activities here. (Hiking, Golf, Cycling, Kayaking, Sailing, Camping, Climbing, Rafting, etc..)

Would you use the whillfetree quad in the summer & fall for recreation if it were open

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes : 87

*WHIFFLETREE FOR MTN BIKING*

Postby mattyboombatty » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:27 am

Sugarloaf needs to do something to attract more visitors in the summer besides the golf thing. How hard would it be to run whiffetree for weekends from july 4th until homecoming. Have it be for not only mountain biking but hiking/sightseeing as well. Build a couple of hiking loops that run over to burnt and down or even across to the spillway area. You could also have nice singletracks down through the broccolli garden and screamers down the ski trails. Whose with me on this one?

Oh and of course, HAVE SOME MTB EVENTS! Sugarloaf downhill mountain biking series anyone?

*Could be a boost for building a lodge at the top of whiffletree that was planned for a few years ago as well.
Last edited by mattyboombatty on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.hemp.com/
mattyboombatty
floating in a wooden shoe

Postby SkitheLoaf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 am

That would be pretty cool, and your right Matty. There needs to be more at the Loaf to attract people. If they made the Loaf the "happenin'" place all year, they might create more loyal Loafers. Or at least it couldn't hurt.
SkitheLoaf

Postby Gstring » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:04 pm

The Widowmaker Weekend in August was always a great event - downhill, dual slalom and x-country. Big crowds, exciting races ... I'd love to see it back again.
Gstring

Postby gondicar » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:37 pm

Not sure it could ever be viable. Sunday River used to run lifts for mtb biking and stopped because there just wasn't enough demand. If they couldn't make it work at the river, I have a hard time believing it would work at the loaf.
gondicar

Postby mattyboombatty » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:12 am

They could inclued with your winter season pass 2 free weekends of downhill mountain biking at sugarloaf in the summer. This might be worth it for the mountain because once the people are they will spend money in restuarants and night activitiess

Great idea, but it's not just about biking! Most mountains who run the lifts in the summer see almost just as much buisness in the summer from tourists taking the lift for sightseeing as they do from biking. Keep whiffletree open for everyone! Leaf peepers would be in heaven in the fall! Bringing back the widowmaker challenge would be a good start to all this. However I think the hut 2 hut system will also get more people in the area on mountain bikes riding, camping, & spending money. Locals racing downhill mtb series anyone?

I have dreams about coasting through the broccolli gardens singletrack on a bluebird summer day. Where would you like to see some singletrack built in the whiffletree area if they opened it up to biking? Or where would you like to see hiking trails built in the whiffletree area? ( I would like to see a trail from there connect to the burnt mountain trail.)

Also you could take care of the trail work by giving out season passes to a few hardcore locals in exchange for keeping the trails cleared of blowdowns & debris. I'll be the first to voulenteer! :twisted:
mattyboombatty

Postby auburnskier » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:04 pm

whatever happenned to the Widomaker Challenge anyway?
auburnskier

Postby mattyboombatty » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:58 pm

Looked a little like that right? Bring back the Widowmaker Challenge!
mattyboombatty

Postby wigman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:38 pm

I heard one of the lift mechanics (B.A.) got money to make moutainbike trails in the area.
wigman

Postby BigRed » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:47 pm

wigman wrote:I heard one of the lift mechanics (B.A.) got money to make moutainbike trails in the area.

Hmmm. Maybe for his involvement with the Carrabassett Valley XC Challenge? That guy rules!!
BigRed

Postby mattyboombatty » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 am

It was a joint operation of the Carrabassett Trails comittee, some sort of grant money or something. Josh T. Deb Bowker & BA are all on the committe as well as the Outdoor center CC folks. I went to a meeting this summer and they definetly need some more mountain bikers influence becasue the cross-country folks seem to be getting the upper hand :shock:

I vote for voulenteer trail days!

Oh and you cant forget Teledave for the brand new trail at the Outdoor center! Great bridges!
mattyboombatty

Re: *WHIFFLETREE FOR MTN BIKING*

Postby Ski_The_East » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Bump
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Return to Off Season.