2018 - Copper or Banff/Lake Louise

Write about your trips, ask veteran travelers questions & make everyone else jealous with your steezy shots and video clips.

2018 - Copper or Banff/Lake Louise

Postby Skimaine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 am

In a break from tradition, CVOA is offering 3 trips out west in 2018. Copper, Banff/Lake Louise and Schweitzer. Mrs. Skimaine and I are trying to decide between Copper in late January or Banff in early February. Doing both is unfortunately not an option. :cry:

I will say we loved this year's trip to Telluride as it offered a wide range of skiing experience and it had great off-mountain experience. The fact the weather was great helped. Unlike Whistler (which was great also) the year before, there were virtual no crowds or lift lines.

I would be interested in your thoughts and experience with these two options.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Re: 2018 - Copper or Banff/Lake Louise

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

We went to Copper (and Steamboat) in January. It was great place with lots of challenging terrain and as you know it was a great year for snow!
There are three main base areas, not that far apart (plus there are shuttles) and each offered choices for food and drink.
It is easy access from Denver and right off I-70. They were also smart with building parking garages under most of the buildings.
A good lift layout makes it easy to get around. We even managed to get a ride in their snow cat which is free on certain days in the back Copper bowl area.

All that said, Lake Louise and Banff are on my bucket list. I think they are much more than just another ski area and would consider going any time of year given the chance.
(just in case I got a Canadian National Park pass, which are being offered for FREE this year to everyone and available to request on line). Plus, the US dollar is still strong against the Can$
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Kestrel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 am

Copper has never been on my "must do " list. Nothing against it but never really has hit our radar. Banff on the other hand is a skiers must do for so many reasons. The history, the terrain, the mountains, the people, the town. It has such a European feel too. I love Colorado- lived there etc. Banff and the surrounding mountains are truly breathtaking. My son and I hit Lake Louise and Sunshine- both really really great. Big, can't do it all in a day mountains that will more than challenge any skier if you any are willing to push. The poma up top at Louise is like scary steep. There is a 1 inch yellow rope on both sides to grab in case you fall off. Its that steep ( ummm we could use a poma like that!!) Banff as a town is pretty cool. Fun places to eat. Great brewery. Choice. Easy...
Put a hook on that line
Kestrel
Kestrel
Sugarloafer

Postby bikeman123 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

If you want to see some jaw dropping mountains, look no further than Banff. I stopped in there on my way to Kicking Horse this winter and its quite the scene (touristy) but the surroundings are something special. I cant vouch for the skiing there. I can CERTAINLY vouch for Kicking Horse though. The pucker factor is strong with that one. :shock:
bikeman123
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I like Copper's ski/on ski/off base lodging. We have a non-skier and it does not seem there is much else to do there. Banff looks to have something for everyone, including terrain. I am not too keen on having to take shuttles to get to the mountains. Telluride spoiled us. We could ski to the condo for lunch. Leaning towards Banff.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Banff for sure, copper the next year. Do it all till you can't
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Return to Travel